Every year the USPS designates the week of May 21-27 to Mailbox Improvement Week for to encourage it’s customers to examine, and if necessary improve, repair or replace worn, broken or missing mailboxes and posts.
A neat looking and made to specification mailbox can not only make the postal couriers job easier and safer, but it can also improve property values and appearances in your neighborhood.
Per the postal service website at this link https://about.usps.com/postal-… you should inspect your mailbox for the following :
1. The mailbox itself should be approved by the Postmaster General.
2. It should be designed to protect the mail from weather.
3. It should be safe to use.
4. It should be conveniently located. (Click for guidelines on post and wall mounted mailboxes and slots)
5. It should be neat in appearance. (Your neighbors will appreciate this also)
Please note that brick built mailboxes are considered a “deadly fixed object” and can be a liability in the event of an automobile collision.
Here are some checks you can perform to check your mailbox for safety:
1. Wiggle the post.. is it loose? leaning? is the arm supporting the mailbox loose?
2. Is the mailbox securely fastened to the support arm?
3. Is the mailbox rusty? Does it have sharp edges and does the door hinge operate properly?
4. Do you have your address properly displayed on the flag side or front of the mailbox? 2″ or larger numbers on the flag side, 1″ or larger numbers on the door if in a cluster. This also helps emergency responders find your home.
5. Does the mailbox itself hang over the roadway making it a target for sideview mirrors?
If your mailbox fails any of these tests, it’s probably a good time to repair or replace your old mailbox and/or post.
MailboxFast.com can make the task of repairing or replacing your old mailbox painless whether it’s a maintenance issue or if it becomes damaged. We are experts in the repair and replacement of post mounted mailboxes and have solutions to fit nearly any budget. Whether you need parts for your expensive Keystone mailbox or want an economy mailbox mounted on a steel stake be sure to make MailboxFast.com your first call!
Now is the time, while the ground is still soft, and before any landscape features you may have installed around your mailbox have begun to bloom. No need to wait until mailbox improvement week.
Contact MailboxFast.com at 630-215-7343 now to improve your mailbox and post!
Mailbox Fast is a 5 star rated professional mailbox and post installer serving Naperville, Wheaton, Lisle, Plainfield, Aurora and the west suburbs of Dupage, Cook, Kane and Will and Kendall counties.
Please follow and like us: